Early College Application Process
Certain Task items take multiple days to finish. Follow the recommended timelines. All task items must be completed and received by May 20, 2019 to determine eligibility and placement into the program. Programs may fill up - Priority will be given based on completion of all enrollment tasks
Only current 10th grade students enrolled at OSTC for 11th grade and in a OSTC program that has an early college option may apply.
- Task 1: Recommended to be completed by April 29, 2019 (General Application)
- Task 2: Recommended to be completed by May 2, 2019 (Items from High School)
- Task 3: Recommended to be completed by May 10, 2019 (OCC Application)
- Task 4: Complete this task and tasks 1-3 by May 20, 2019 (OCC Placement Testing)
Part 1 - Go see your high school counselor, inform them that you are applying for the Oakland Technical Early College program and have them complete and/or send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Oakland Technical Early College Counselor Recommendation Form
- FERPA Release Form - Applicant completes this form to have the counselor send with recommendation and transcript
Part 2 - Complete your information on the following form and have your HS Counselor or School Official sign. You will keep this signed form and upload it as part of your OCC online application (Task 3): HS Approval Form
Apply to OCC and complete enrollment steps.
Go to the Oakland CC High School Dual-Enrolled Student Page Steps,
- Complete Steps 1-3 (for Step 1 and 3 use the HS approval form you got signed in TASK 2).
For step 2 - Enter personal information and contact information. Remember to be sure to enter an email address that is accessible and frequently checked by someone. Email is the main method of communication by OCC.
Under “Academic Plans”:
Admit Type: “I will be attending OCC while still in high school”
Entry Term: Fall 2019
Career Cluster: High School Dual Enrollment
Academic Program: High School Dual Enrollment
Location: Choose any OCC campus. Your choice does not limit you to one campus. It is merely to select the campus to which your records will be assigned.
- Once OCC processes the application, you will receive an email (sent to the email used in the application) with your OCC ID. This does not mean that you are accepted into the Oakland Technical Early College Program.
- Complete Step 4 - Setting up your myOCC email
- Complete Step 5 - New Student Orientation Online
- Log into your myOCC account and select Student and then New Student Orientation
- Many of the instructions in the New Student Orientation are written for traditional OCC students, not Oakland Technical Early College students. You should not make an appointment with an OCC counselor yet. You also don’t need to be concerned about Financial Aid, paying for classes, or buying books.
- When you have finished all lesson and the brief Student Survey, you must click “Mark Course Completed” Failure to do so will prevent you from taking the required ACCUPLACER Test
Step 6 - Complete Placement Testing and Send Scores is TASK 4.
Accuplacer Reading Comprehension and Writeplacer Placement Test measure a student’s readiness for college-level English coursework. Students need to place into ENG 1510 to be eligible for placement into the program. Applicants do not need to take the Aleks Math Placement
- Step 1: Complete the Mandatory ACCUPLACER Practice
- Make sure to complete the survey at the end and Mark Course Completed
- Print the Accuplacer Practice Certificate
- Step 2: Schedule a Placement Test
- Bring a photo id with you to the test and your Accuplacer Practice Certificate
- Step 3: You will receive a placement scores report at the end of testing.
- Placement testing results must be sent to: email@example.com to determine eligibility and potential placement into the early college program
Additional Testing Resources
Accuplacer Web App - Developed by College Board and is intended to familiarize the user with the basic content areas of Accuplacer
If you have a 504 or IEP, you may be eligible for testing accommodations. Please contact the OCC ACCESS Office at the campus you will be testing at for additional information
Those that complete the application process by April 30 will be notified by May 10. If you qualify for the Oakland Technical Early College, you will then need to meet with an OCC counselor fall courses can be scheduled.